Saturday, March 23, 2013

Turmeric Chickpea Stew

  • 2 small cartons coconut milk
  • 1 large onion and 1 carrot, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 knob ginger, grated
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 to 2 T. Thai yellow curry paste
  • 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 T. turmeric
  • 1 tsp. unrefined sea salt
  • 1 T. coconut oil
  • 2 c. cooked chickpeas
  • 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add all ingredients except red pepper and chickpeas.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce and simmer for 40 minutes.  Add chickpeas and peppers and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice or in a soup bowl.

Serves 8; 303 calories.

VERDICT:  Exasperating recipe.  I've never seen a "carton" of coconut milk, so I used two cans.  (I also couldn't find yellow curry paste, so I used red.)  Also, how much is a knob?  And then, if you're just going to add the liquid right away, why put oil in the pan first?  I ended up eyeballing amounts to make it stew-like consistency and sauteed the onion, carrot, sweet potato, and garlic in olive oil, adding the spice and curry for a minute or two, then adding the coconut milk.  It all turned out OK, but still a toss.

1 comment:

  1. Hy Katy! This recipe I recognize from Tosca Reno's editorial on the advantages of turmeric in an issue of Clean Eating magazine. I also found the recipe a bit confusing: Usually "cartons" are referred to tetra paks, which are usually 250 ml. (I could never find cartons of coconut milk either!) Cans of coconut milk are usually 12-14 oz, so I used 1 can to equal 2 cartons. The yellow curry paste is hard to find, if you have access to an Asian grocery store, that is the only place you will find it. But it is worth finding! One little can of yellow curry paste is probably good to make 4 batches of this "stoup". (What isn't used can be frozen in an ice cube tray to use the next time you prepare this recipe) I also found that 1 whole pineapple was a bit too much, so I used a half pineapple per batch was good, or 1 whole pineapple for a double batch. When I do this recipe, I always do a double batch, because it is so delicious, and awesome to pack the leftovers for lunches. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete